– Before beginning your holiday travels, ask trustworthy neighbors and friends to keep an eye on the house while you are away.
– Lock up everything. Every door and window in the home should be locked and secured. If your home has an activated alarm system, set it upon leaving.
– Turn off unnecessary heating/cooling systems. Depending on the climate of the area you live in, it is essential to keep the temperature of your home at a certain degree to prevent freezing pipes, etc.
– Indoor and outdoor lighting systems are a great way to deter any unwelcome visitors to your home while being away. Motion sensor lights are a great source of lighting for exterior entry ways. As well as adding timers to indoor lighting. Both are great features for keeping would-be burglars away.
– Put your valuables away. Before leaving your home, make sure all cash, jewelry, electronics, important documents, etc. are safely stored away and are not out in the open.